We asked Award Winning 2 of Harps for their Favourite song choices for a fabulous Destination Wedding in France
Planning a wedding can be stressful. Planning from afar, in another country with a different language just adds to that. HOWEVER! Don’t panic! To help you negotiate your way through you can hire a wedding planning or you can opt to plan your own DIY weddings from afar by speaking with some of the many English speaking suppliers in France, like those found on Simply Wed.
We have a small army of professional wedding suppliers here in France; suppliers like Adel and Karina at 2 of Harps, who perform across the UK and France and have also toured Internationally.
This amazing Multi-Award Winning British Harp Duo are acclaimed harpists, and as professional talented young musicians they can offer a modern twist for your wedding music. We asked them for their ideas and here’s what they suggested. We love the song lists they’ve created; take a look and be inspired for your own fabulously French wedding!
Planning the music for the MOST important day of your life can seem a bit daunting, especially if you don’t know where to start and have never planned a wedding before. Then when you add into the mix, that you want to steer clear of those ‘cliché’ songs that you ‘hear at every wedding’, it can become even more of a difficult and time consuming task!
Don’t worry, you’ve come to the perfect wedding duo to discover some of the most stunning tracks which really aren’t overplayed, and we believe are perfect for your wedding day.
Between us, Adel and Karina, we have made it super easy for you, by breaking down your day. We have started with your wedding ceremony music, then we have given you some great ideas for your drinks reception and then your all-important wedding breakfast. But, because it’s your day, what music you have and when you have it, is totally up to you, so feel free to mix it up and don’t forget if you’re looking to book a contemporary harpist, a harp and vocal duo, or another type of acoustic musician, these songs work amazingly and set the perfect tone.
We’ve been so lucky as musicians to play at such critically important elements of couples’ weddings. We have travelled and played our harps locally, across the UK and we’ve taken our portable harps to France to ensure our clients day goes exactly as planned. Although we are young, we have been performing live for many years, and know just the right alternative wedding tracks with beautiful lyrics to play on your big day.
Here are our favourite tracks for your wedding timeline:
Ten Alternative ‘Walking Down The Aisle’ Songs
We’ve chosen ten songs we think are not only alternative, but sound magical for that moment when you walk down the aisle ready to say ‘I do’.
- ‘Follow the Sun’ by Xavier Rudd
- ‘Kiss Me’ by Sixpence None the Richer
- ‘Full Recovery’ by Curtis Walsh
- ‘Lucky’ by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat
- ‘Girl’ by HYML
- ‘She Burns’ by Vance Joy
- ‘Hearts and Bones’ by Paul Simon
- ‘Time of Our Lives’ by James Blunt
- ‘I’ll Be Your Mirror’ by The Velvet Underground
- ‘You’ve Got the Love’ by Florence & The machine
Ten Alternative ‘Signing The Register’
After you have both excitedly said your vows in front of your friends and family, it is time to officially ‘tie the knot’ by signing the register, (or certificate if you have a celebrant led wedding). Whilst you and your witnesses sign the legal documents and have your photos taken, a harpist or acoustic duo can entertain your guests with normally three pieces of music you have carefully chosen together.
Why not go for something totally romantic, or maybe sentimental?
- ‘A Thousand Miles’ by Vanessa Carlton
- ‘Fallin’ by Alicia Keys
- ‘I Don’t Want to Change You’ by Damien Rice
- ‘I Found a Reason’ by Velvet Underground
- ‘January Wedding’ by The Avett Brothers
- ‘Olalla’ by Blanco White
- ‘Oceans of Time’ by Jimmy Buffett
- ‘Say Yes’ by Elliott Smith
- ‘Slow Show’ by The National
- ‘To Love Somebody’ by Bee Gees
Ten Alternative ‘Recessional/ Exit’ Songs
You’ve declared your love and commitments to each other in front of all your wedding guests. Now it’s time for your friends and family to cheer and clap as you both leave the ceremony hand-in-hand ready for your group shot and the fun confetti moment. To celebrate the new chapter in your lives for this bouquet or hands in the air moment you might want to pick an upbeat song.
- ‘24K magic’ by Bruno Mars
- ‘Baby I’m Yours’ by Arctic Monkeys
- ‘Grow Old With Me’ by Tom Odell
- ‘Hymn For the Weekend’ by Coldplay
- ‘Only Love’ by Ben Howard
- ‘Shut Up and Dance’ by Walk The Moon
- ‘The Greatest’ by James Blunt
- ‘True’ by Spandau Ballet
- ‘Your Hand in Mine’ by Explosions in the Sky
- ‘You’re Still Around’ by L.A. Salami
Ten Alternative ‘Most Stunning’ Drinks Reception Songs
Imagine your wedding day, everyone is now enjoying their drinks, out in the sunshine. For your drinks reception, we believe you now need songs that create the most relaxing atmosphere, that encourages everyone to chat and ‘get social’, whilst also keeping your romantic vibe.
- ‘Acoustic’ by Billy Raffoul
- ‘Calgary’ by Bon Iver
- ‘Everywhere’ by Fleetwood Mac
- ‘Human’ by dodie ft. Tom Walker
- ‘I Choose You’ by Caleb Edens
- ‘I Know How to Speak’ by Manchester Orchestra
- ‘Like Real People Do’ by Hozier
- ‘Mallorca’ by RY X
- ‘Songbird’ by Fleetwood Mac
- ‘The Way I Am’ by Ingrid
Ten Alternative ‘Upbeat’ Songs For Your Drinks Reception
If you want to really get the party vibe started earlier, why not ask your harp duo or acoustic musician to play covers of these up-tempo songs. As we believe there is nothing better than a bit of alternative rock on the harp to say, ‘my wedding is different’.
- ‘Electric Love’ by BORNS
- ‘Fell in Love With a Girl’ by The White Stripes
- ‘Friday I’m in Love’ by The Cure
- ‘Ho Hey’ by The Lumineers
- ‘I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend’ by Ramones
- ‘Latch’ by Sam Smith
- ‘Pretty Girl’ by Hayley Kiyoko
- ‘Skin’ by Rag’n’Bone Man
- ‘This Must be the Place’ by Talking Heads
- ‘You & Me’ by Disclosure
Ten Alternative ‘Romantic’ Songs For Your Cocktail Hour
Are you a couple looking to add as much romance into your wedding day as humanly possible? Why not choose some of these less played songs that we think have everything to pull on those heart/ harp strings – sorry we couldn’t resist! They may not be as popular as the Ed Sheeran staples, but the lyrics will have you falling head over heels in love with them. Just what you need for a romantic and classy wedding.
- ‘Angel of Mine’ by Eternal
- ‘Better’ by SYML
- ‘Crosses’ by Jose Gonzalez
- ‘Feeling You’ by Harrison Storm
- ‘Heaven’ by Ziggy Alberts
- ‘Hold me Love’ by RYX
- ‘Home’ by Gabrielle Aplin
- ‘Real Love’ by Tom O dell
- ‘The Few Things’ by JP Saxe and Charlotte Lawrence
- ‘The Power of Love’ by Gabrielle Aplin
Ten Alternative Songs with ‘The MOST Beautiful Lyrics’ for Drinks and Canapés
One of the most important things when choosing songs for your day, is really listening to the message of the song. Just because the song has ‘LOVE’ in the title, it doesn’t always mean they are in fact romantic! Here are some suggestions which we hope you’ll love as much as we do, and they are full of romance.
- ‘An Evening I Will Not Forget’ by Dermot Kennedy
- ‘Chemicals’ by Gregory Alan Isakov
- ‘First day of My Life’ by Bright Eyes
- ‘Gold in the Air’ by Jesse Woods
- ‘Hot Heavy Summer’ by Ben Howard
- ‘Run to Waters’ by Justin Nozuka
- ‘She’s Always a Woman’ by Billy Joel
- ‘Skinny Love’ by Bon Iver
- ‘You Have Stolen My Heart’ by Brian Fallon
- ‘Wild Horses’ by Rolling Stones
Ten Alternative ‘Songs From Movies’ That Go Perfectly With Your Food and Drinks Stations
We believe pretty much every couple want their wedding to be ‘just like in the movies’ full of love and romance. So, we say, why not take songs from some of the most epic love stories on the planet. Whether you’re into modern day comedy romance (Bridget Jones anyone?), or the classic love story. There’s plenty of choice here that we think you are just going to want played at your wedding!
- ‘Accidentally in Love’ from Shrek 2 by Counting Crows
- ‘All You Need Is Love’ from Love Actually by Lynden David Hall
- ‘Grow Old With You’ from The Wedding Singer by Adam Sandler
- ‘Fallen’ from Pretty Woman by Lauren Wood
- ‘It Had To Be You’ from When Harry Met Sally by Harry Connick Jr.
- ‘I’ve Had the Time Of My Life’ from Dirty Dancing by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
- ‘My Cherry Amour’ from Silver Linings Playbook by Stevie Wonder
- ‘Someone Like You’ from Bridget Jones’ Diary by Dina Carroll
- ‘Today Was a Fairytale’ from Valentine’s Day by Taylor Swift
- ‘You Make My Dreams’ from 500 Days of Summer by Hall & Oates
Ten Alternative ‘Contemporary Classical’ Tracks For A Black-Tie Wedding
Whilst heavy classical music, (like Beethoven, Liszt and Mozart), may not appeal to some of your wedding guests, these contemporary classical tracks are sure to get a thumbs up from everyone when performed on the harp. Here are our favourites for your wedding breakfast.
- ‘Arrival’ by Dustin O’Halloran
- ‘Bella’s Lullaby’ by Carter Burwell
- ‘Bluebird’ by Alexis French
- ‘Discovery At Night’ by Ludovico Einaudi
- ‘Golden Hour’ by Jiri Horak
- ‘Kiss the Rain’ by Yiruma
- ‘Moonlight’ by Justus Rumenapp
- ‘Nefeli’ by Ludovico Einaudi
- ‘Opening’ by Philip Glass
- ‘River Flows In You’ by Yiruma
Ten Alternative ‘First Dance’ Songs That Aren’t Cliché!
Avoiding ‘cliché songs’ for your first dance can be tricky and it could be disappointing hearing your first dance track played at someone else’s wedding. So here are ten songs which we believe aren’t overplayed and you are unlikely to hear at a friend’s wedding especially when played on harps. The best thing about having live music, on the harps or harp and voice, is that you can ask the musician to play at a tempo (speed) that’s right for you and how confident you are on the dance floor!
- ‘Blind Man’ by Xavier Omar
- ‘California Stars’ by Billy Bragg and Wilco
- ‘Drops of Jupiter’ by Train
- ‘Follow Me, Follow You’ cover by Red House Painters
- ‘Latch (Acoustic)’ by Sam Smith
- ‘Let’s Never Stop Falling in Love’ by Pink Martini
- ‘Luna’ by The Smashing Pumpkins
- ‘Someone Like You’ by Van Morrison
- ‘Turning Page’ by Sleeping At Last
- ‘Us Against the World’ by Coldplay
If your favourite isn’t on this list don’t panic! Discuss your ideas with 2 of Harps! And if you’re looking for something new and fresh, why not choose their very own single!
Photographs Courtesy of :
- Blushing Bride Photography
- Film our Day
- Fleur Challis Photographer
- 2 of Harps